Monday, June 4, 2012

Playin' Catch-Up: Epic Bike Weekend

I've been neglecting the blog more than usual, and I actually have a ton of stuff goin' on. So yeah, first up: Friendlies polo at Epic Bike Weekend in Jackson, MS.

Jason, Adam, Kermit, Charles and myself all were able to make it down to Jackson for a day of pick-up with their crew as well as some Mobil-ians. Jackson's definitely picking up their game, could notice improvements all around - it's pretty crazy they just started playing in January. I feel like most polo clubs have a tipping point where things stop just being about screwing around and start ramping up. For us, it was the addition of a new player that had played all around Europe. Unfortunately, that didn't happen for us until after about a year of playing. Jackson's getting there in about four months.

Mobile, of course, is a well-established club, and were definitely pushing us. They may not have wiped the walls with us, but we were definitely scrambling to match 'em. Lots of speed, great shots, juked me outta my shorts a few times. Guess those are the times I tell myself I'm learning? Anyways, great to meet 'em, look forward to seeing them in October.

As usual when I get all hot and bothered, I didn't take as many photos as I should have, but here are some favorites. Also as usual, more can be found on the flickrrrrrrr.

DSC_2119
This looks cool, until you realize all the boards on this court were like a foot tall. AIRBALL=SUX.

DSC_2110
Gotta love the cross.

DSC_2217
Turn and burn, bitches.

DSC_2200
Kevin was officially Too Good™.

DSC_2196
What can I say, love a photo where the ball is still flying through the air.

DSC_2194
Kevin with some awesome form.

DSC_2185
Yeah, I know, open goal, but HOVERBALL!

DSC_2177
Preeeeetty sure Liz is doing the Xena battle cry here.

DSC_2152
Kevin is an enigma. Nitin is veiny.

DSC_2150
Two for flinching. Or, it would be if we could see Kermit's face right now.

DSC_2138
Polo close-ups are invariably intense.

Next time we'll take a trip back in time to when Jackson came to Memphis!

No comments:

Post a Comment